Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sentinel Blogs Heating Up

Ex Orlando Sentinel alum and fellow Editorial Board colleague David Porter writes that his daughter has started a blog, titled appropriately enough "The Amazing Shrinking Orlando Sentinel" (http://www.amazingshrinkingsentinel.blogspot.com/).

Here's an excerpt from the mouth of babes:

I've always had the principle instilled in me: that journalism existed to watch out for the people. My father believes a city without a local paper is a crooked politician or businessman's dream. My mother tells me journalism is essential to democracy. In fact, the definition of a sentinel is a lookout, a person employed to keep watch for some anticipated event.
I find it hard to believe that a local newspaper that has ads on its front page and replaced 'Local and State' with 'The Law and You' is looking out for anything.

1 comment:

Papercuts Hurt said...

I'm glad to see there's another O'Sentinel blog out there. We need as many people as possible making as much noise as possible about the changes and slow erosion of the Sentinel. The Tribune needs to know that the people of Orlando (writer, worker, reader) will not accept substance void pages of newsprint as a representation of their city and its issues.

Fighting the Tribune-owned powers that be,
Kai Porter of http://amazingshrinkingsentinel.blogspot.com/